|A good photograph of Incarceration|
by Felicia Follum.
Here is what you can do to avoid rejection based on bad images...
1. Do photograph two-Dimensional work against a solid black background. A neutral gray or white background can also work, but a black sheet is often a good choice.
2. Do photograph three-Dimensional work in a light box or on a curved wall (designed for photographing work). You can also use boxes on a table covered in black sheets. Make sure the background is also covered.
3. Do color correct your images. If there is white on the piece, there should be white in the submitted photo.
4. When, allowed do submit detail images of your work. This will allow the judges to see how much time you put into your work.
5. Do use a tripod or something to stabilize the camera.
6. Do follow all specific directions on the submission form.
|A bad photograph of Incarceration|
1. Don’t photograph your work with a busy background.
2. Don’t photograph work on your sofa, or in your home.
3. Don’t submit blurry images.
4. Don’t submit images with inaccurate color.
5. Don’t ignore directions regarding file size and file type, number of images per work, or total number of images allowed.
Tips for digital work
1. Use screen shots when applicable. The default for screen shots is often a png file making them perfect for posting images on your artist Facebook page and some websites.
2. Pay special attention to file size, dpi, and other settings that are specified in directions.
ETSY also has some great tips.
Time saving tips from ETSY
**Installations, time or space specific artwork, some conceptual works, and performance art may be exceptions. If you make an exception, there should be a reason. Even with a strong reason it could be a risk to do some of the don'ts. Come into WOW or ask other artists what they think.
If all else fails, set up a time to visit with a WOW staff about photographing your work. In all reality you don't have to wait until you have a problem, just come on in. You can contact us directly though our Facebook page or email.